- Ratio- When you compare quantities that have the same units.
- Rate- When you compare two quantities that are measured in different units.
- Proportion- An equation which states that two ratios are equal.
1. 5 hours to travel 360 miles is about 72 mph.
2. As a playgroup worker, if I increase the amount of apple juice I am
serving at the playgroup from 25ml to 100ml, how much should I increase
the orange juice to, to keep the quantities in the same proportion?
The orange juice is 50ml to start with.
What are three ways to prove that equivalent ratios are true?
3/4 = 12/16 -TRUE
4/9 = 16/32 - FALSE
1. Does this seem fair? No, this does not seem fair.
2. With what you know about proportion look and read what is in the image above. Does it seem just and fair? Why have you made this choice?
This does not seem fair, because the rich guy stole 3 billion dollars but only got sent to jail for 40 months (3 years). The homeless man only stole 100 dollars, was honest and confronted to the police and got sent to jail for 15 years. He stole less money, was honest, but still got sent to jail for longer.
3. What would you have done if you were the judge?
If I was the judge, I would send the homeless man to jail for only 5 months or so, because he stole the money for a reasonable reason, and also because he was honest enough to confront