Pages

Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Creative Commons License

Clustr Map

Math Chat

Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

Sompong's Estimating Square Roots Post

This is what we learned today in class..

To estimate square roots you can use a number line.
Example:




Example:
To find the square root of 30, you take the 2 nearest perfect squares. So the square root of 30 would be in between the square root of 25 and 36.





To make this easier you can turn the square roots into fractions. The square root fraction of 30 is 5 5/11, I know this because..



You subtract the 2 perfect squares to get your denominator.




Example: Smaller perfect square= 25.. = 4 9/9, 26 = 5 1/11, 27 = 5 2/11 , 28 = 5 3/11, 29 = 5 4/11, and so on.

And this is what we did for today's math class! (:


Here's a video that will help you learn more about estimating square roots!


Sorry if the video is too long, it's the best I can find!



1. Explain the Pythagorean Relationship

Pythagorean Relationship
-When the areas of the squares attached to the legs of a right triangle add up to the area of the square attached to the hypotenuse (the longest side of a right triangle).















2. Solve for the missing side length















3. Is this a right triangle? Prove it!!!















Sorry, the color didn't work when I started Pythagorean Relationship.

7 comments:

Kimg817 said...

Good job Amy! Well done! Thank you for making this scribe post ...it helped me a lot...especially the parts I missed during the class. I like how you give us examples ,it helped me understand more about the number line thing.. And also like how you change the colors of your font...well done!

Kimg817 said...

*gave

liyanah817 said...

Great job Sompong (: I like how you used a lot of pictures and you changed the colour of the fonts. I also liked how you made an example using words (in the last one) I also liked the way you explained everything, it was all organized and easy to read. Your blog helped me remember what we learned today in class. To make your blog better I think you couldve added a link to a game to help us even more. Another thing you could've done was add a link that leads to manga high to remind others to play. Overall Great job Sompong! Keep it up(:

liyanah817 said...

Great job Sompong (: I like how you used a lot of pictures and you changed the colour of the fonts. I also liked how you made an example using words (in the last one) I also liked the way you explained everything, it was all organized and easy to read. Your blog helped me remember what we learned today in class. To make your blog better I think you couldve added a link to a game to help us even more. Another thing you could've done was add a link that leads to manga high to remind others to play. Overall Great job Sompong! Keep it up(:

Jada 9-05 said...

Great job amy. You did a really great job seeing that you got the hardest scribe. Really great choice of colours and your pictures were really neat. The video was a great help.

GurpreetS9-05 said...

Great good job Amy. I like how you wrote little captions saying what the pictures were about.I also like how you used a lot of different colors to make your scribe stand out. Maybe you could have tried to make your own video and got a link to manga high but good job Amy.

paige817 said...

Good job Amy! (:
I like how you had great pictures to go with your answers and explained it really well. Your post was also really neat and easy to understand! Great job and keep up the good work! (:

Post a Comment