Use your notes to list the different types of graphs. Please list the advantages and disadvantages of each graph.
1. A bar graph is best for comparing data across categories. A disadvantage for a bar graph would be the categories being re ordered and changes the way you look at the bars.
2. A circle graph is best for comparing categories to the whole using percents. The sum of the percents in a circle graph is 100%. A disadvantage for a circle graph would be seeing the percentage but not knowing the exact numerical data and the "other" category can be hard to figure out.
3. A line graph is best for showing changes in data overtime. A disadvantage of a line graph would be that you have to use only with continuous data.
4. A pictograph is best for comparing data that can be easily counted and represented using symbols. A disadvantage of a pictograph would be the size of the picture. Some of the pictures are bigger than the other and you can only use up to 6 categories.
5. A double bar graph is best for comparing two sets of data across categories. A disadvantage of a double bar graph would be the same disadvantages of a regular bar graph and it could only be used with discrete data.
How can graphs be misleading. Show 3 ways.
Another way to make a graph misleading is making a break in the y-axis.
A third example to mislead a graph is to make the size of a picture in a pictograph larger than the other.
The following chart shows Pizza Sub Sales over a month. What 2 graphs would show the information accurately?
Line graph and a bar graph would show the information more accurately.
If you were selling Pizza Subs would you continue? How does your graph explain your answer.
Yes, I would continue selling because according to the graph, every week, the sales are getting higher and people are buying more and more so why stop?
Below you see 2 different examples of graphs showing healthy choices sold at the canteen. If you had to convince Mrs Mota that we should continue selling healthy choices which graph would you choose?
Here's a video to help you learn about misleading graphs